San Anselmo
September 9, 2017
san-rafael
San Rafael
February 2, 2017
History of Novato

What is now Novato was originally the site of several Coast Miwok villages: Chokecherry, near downtown Novato; Puyuku, near Ignacio; and Olompali, at the present-day Olompali State Historic Park.

In 1839, the Mexican government granted the 8,876-acre Rancho Novato to Fernando Feliz. The rancho was named after a local Miwok leader who had probably been given the name of Saint Novatus at his baptism.  Subsequently, four additional land grants were made in the area: Rancho Corte Madera de Novato, to John Martin in 1839; Rancho San Jose, to Ignacio Pacheco in 1840; Rancho Olompali, awarded in 1843 to Camilo Ynitia, son of a Coast Miwok chief; and Rancho Nicasio, by far the largest at 56,621 acres, awarded to Pablo de la Guerra and John B.R. Cooper in 1844. Novato, along with the rest of California, became part of the United States on February 2, 1848. Early pioneers included Joseph Sweetser and Francis De Long who bought 15,000 acres in the mid-1850s and planted orchards and vineyards.

The first post office at Novato opened in 1856; it closed in 1860, and a new post office opened in 1891.

The first school was built in 1859, at the corner of Grant Avenue and what is today Redwood Boulevard.

The original town was located around Novato Creek at what is now South Novato Boulevard. A railroad was built in 1879, connecting Novato to Sonoma County and San Rafael. The area around the train depot became known as New Town, and forms the edge of what today is Old Town Novato. The current depot was built in 1917, but closed in 1959, and is largely derelict. The depot consisted of two buildings: a warehouse and a station. The warehouse burned twice in the intervening years. Behind the rail station/warehouse complex was a grain and feed mill complex. The mill complex, along with the warehouse portion of the rail station, was torn down in late 2007 to make way for public parking and a Whole Foods/high-density housing development, while the derelict station is still standing.

A Presbyterian church, still a landmark in Novato today, was built in 1896. Until 2006 it housed a number of city offices, but was vacated that year due to safety concerns and condemned; the church has since been renovated. A new city center complex has been erected adjacent to the old City Hall.

The Great Depression of the 1930s had a marked effect on the area as many farmers lost their land. After World War II, Novato grew quickly with the construction of tract homes and a freeway. As the area was unincorporated much of the growth was unplanned and uncontrolled. Novato was finally incorporated as a city in 1960. One of the most important venues of the time (1960 to 1965) was "Western Weekend". Beard-growing contests, sponsored by Bob's Barber Shop, and many other odd activities helped to bring this community together.

 

 

 

(Pending Account - not for public use)
4
Beds
4 | 1
Baths
4,120
SqFt
(49)
 
 
#21708948 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
3 | 1
Baths
3,357
SqFt
(47)
 
 
#21627880 | Single Family Home
 
5
Beds
6
Baths
10,000
SqFt
(41)
 
 
#21719669 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
3
Baths
N/A
SqFt
(36)
 
 
#21720916 | Single Family Home
 
5
Beds
5
Baths
4,110
SqFt
(44)
 
 
#21721746 | Single Family Home
 
5
Beds
5 | 1
Baths
4,927
SqFt
(58)
 
 
#21710232 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
3 | 1
Baths
4,630
SqFt
(37)
 
 
#21715696 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
4 | 1
Baths
4,672
SqFt
(29)
 
 
#21714194 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
3 | 1
Baths
4,770
SqFt
(19)
 
 
#21723706 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
2
Baths
2,505
SqFt
(30)
 
 
#21720156 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
5
Baths
4,217
SqFt
(38)
 
 
#21719074 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
3 | 1
Baths
3,993
SqFt
(47)
 
 
#21702167 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
3 | 1
Baths
3,456
SqFt
(42)
Open House: Oct 29, 2017 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
 
#21720900 | Single Family Home
 
3
Beds
2 | 1
Baths
2,980
SqFt
(25)
 
 
#21715396 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
4
Baths
3,068
SqFt
(24)
 
 
#21718633 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
2 | 1
Baths
3,119
SqFt
(37)
 
 
#21719230 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
4 | 1
Baths
N/A
SqFt
(50)
 
 
#21722363 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
3 | 1
Baths
3,940
SqFt
(48)
 
 
#21712297 | Single Family Home
 
3
Beds
2
Baths
2,484
SqFt
(34)
 
 
#21723063 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
3 | 1
Baths
4,360
SqFt
(22)
 
 
#21719755 | Single Family Home
 
3
Beds
2 | 1
Baths
2,349
SqFt
(40)
Open House: Oct 29, 2017 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
 
#21723937 | Single Family Home
 
4
Beds
2
Baths
1,680
SqFt
(33)
 
 
#21722153 | Single Family Home
 
5
Beds
2 | 1
Baths
2,826
SqFt
(18)
 
 
#21714410 | Single Family Home
 
5
Beds
3 | 1
Baths
3,393
SqFt
(31)
 
 
#21720747 | Single Family Home
 
© 2017 Bay Area Real Estate Information Services, Inc. (BAREIS MLS®). All rights reserved.
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) program of BAREIS MLS®. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. All Information Is Deemed Reliable But Is Not Guaranteed Accurate.
BAREIS data last updated at October 22, 2017 7:56 PM PT

Need Assistance?

To sell or purchase a home in Novato, California please connect with us using the form below


 

What is now Novato was originally the site of several Coast Miwok villages: Chokecherry, near downtown Novato; Puyuku, near Ignacio; and Olompali, at the present-day Olompali State Historic Park.

Home Finder